Pages

Sunday, June 3, 2012

Moving to NYC!!!

Over the last year, God has taught me about total surrender—being 100% obedient to His call and direction for my life. That call and direction has led me to make a radical decision for my life. In August, I will be moving to New York City to work with Graffiti 2 Community Ministries. I first read about Graffiti 2 in an article in a magazine focused on missions and have since traveled to New York City to serve with Graffiti 2 three times in the past two years (see this post and this post).

Graffiti 2 Community Ministries (www.graffiti2ministries.org) seeks to Revitalize, Revive, and Revolutionize the Mott Haven section of the South Bronx and society by enabling individuals to develop physically, mentally (revitalization), emotionally, spiritually, and socially (revival) so that they may become servant-leaders within their families, community, and society (revolution). Children in Mott Haven fail to meet education standards, live in single-parent households, lack adequate nutrition and healthcare, and reside in a neighborhood with high crime rates. (This info is from G2's website.)

Graffiti 2 takes pride in providing quality, safe, and fun after school programming for the children of Mott Haven. Graffiti 2 seeks to provide activities for children that will build their minds and bodies, strengthen their character, spirit, and personality, and revolutionize their lives, families, and community. The children receive help with their homework each day and also get to participate in daily enrichment activities. Most importantly, each child also gets to learn about Jesus every day in the after school program. The children learn Bible stories and are challenged to memorize Scripture as part of the after school program.

Joining Graffiti 2 Community Ministries means that I will have the responsibility of developing a team of financial partners who provide the necessary finances that will allow me to serve full time in this ministry role. I would like to invite you to become a part of my team as a monthly ministry partner. Would you be in a position to join me through a monthly investment of $10, $25, $50, $100, or more? If this is you, you can donate online here. Please denote that your giving is intended to support Jo Lynn Hawk. You can also send a check. That information is also listed here. On the memo line of your check, please write in my name. This denotes that your giving is intended to support me.

Maybe you are not in a position to commit to be a monthly ministry partner but would like to make a one-time gift here or commit to be a prayer partner for the ministry that I will be doing in Mott Haven with Graffiti 2. The Prayer Requests tab at the top of this page will be updated several times per month with my current prayer requests. I have also created a prayer card that you can have to hang somewhere in your house as a reminder to pray for me as I serve with Graffiti 2. If you want one, comment on here, message me on Facebook, tweet me, email me, or text me. I will make sure you get one!

Graffiti 2 Community Ministries is affiliated with the North American Mission Board.

I would love to meet with you one-on-one to share more about my ministry with Graffiti 2 Community Ministries. 

3 comments:

Unknown said...

This sounds really awesome!! I God will use you in a great way :)

Kayla said...

Congratulations on this awesome opportunity! I can not wait to hear about your journeys!!

Mandy Alexander said...

I am so stoked for you! It is awesome to see how God has put a love for New York in you from childhood only to end up serving and sharing Christ with people in this city!! You are going to do awesome and I'm so excited for you!!